SEO News You Can Use: All Websites Will be Moved to Mobile-First Indexing by September

SEO News You Can Use

Google says up to 70 percent of websites have already been moved over to mobile-first indexing. The remaining 30 percent will be moved over to mobile-first indexing by no later than September.

It’s great to finally have a date attached to this switch, as it gives a chance for websites facing mobile responsive issues a chance to catch up before the smartphone Googlebot takes hold later this year.

While this move to mobile-first indexing is absolute, Google won’t forego the traditional desktop Googlebot entirely. After September, Google will, on occasion, crawl using the desktop Googlebot. However, all crawling for Search will be done with the smartphone Googlebot, with no exceptions. 

See If Your Site Has Moved Over by Logging Into Google Search Console

Google shoots off notifications to the websites on which mobile-first indexing is enabled. Whether your website is ready for this change or not, be warned that Google will move it to mobile-first indexing regardless.

In preparation for the switch, provide the smartphone Googlebot with the necessary information as found on the desktop version of your site. Check that your canonical and hreflang tags are pointing to the correct pages, make sure you’re not restricting any indexing or crawling on your site and add your mobile site to Google Search Console if you haven’t already done so. Also, check to see if you have Schema markup added and that you’re not hiding texts or links on any of your pages.

It’s possible your site has already moved to mobile-first indexing. After all, Google began this change in 2016. SearchEngineLand’s article shows an example of the message you could receive from Google if your website hasn’t been moved over yet or if it’s having trouble accessing your site with the mobile-crawler.

Read Google’s Best Practices For Mobile-First Indexing

By following these guidelines, you’re making sure your site continues working well. Make use of URL Testing Tools or any other website analyzing tools you trust to check both your mobile and desktop version of your site and make sure you match what Google Search sees.

More SEO News You Can Use

Build It and They Will Come Doesn’t Apply to Your Shopify Store: SEO for eCommerce is a bit different from common optimization tactics. Once you’ve created your digital Shopify storefront, you need to set about ramping up your organic traffic. Si Quan Ong from Ahrefs has published an exceptionally helpful blog with 10 tips for driving organic traffic to your new Shopify store.

FAQ Schema to be Used For Only One FAQ Page: If you have the same questions and answers on multiple pages of your website you need to use the FAQ schema on one page and remove it from all other pages with the same FAQs and answers, according to Google’s updated guidelines. If you violate this guideline, your site won’t show up in FAQ’s rich results on search engine results pages (SERPs).

Once You’re at the Top, Negative SEO Snipers Will Try to Take You Out: The latest Whiteboard Friday has Russ Jones tackling the concept of negative SEO and why it matters, even when you think you’ve dodged the bullet. He also offers insights into how you should manage the effects of negative SEO and how to fight back against your enemy.

Don’t Get Bogged Down by Blog Writing For SEO Purposes: Publishing unique content on your site is a no-brainer if you want to rank on Google SERPs. Creating that unique content is not always the easiest task. Ron Lieback from SearchEngineJournal offers a three-step blog creation strategy that’ll work for everyone.

Join a Webinar for Improving Your Client’s Content Strategy Despite Ever-Changing Algorithms: Idan Segal, organic growth lead for Wix, will be leading this webinar on Wednesday. He will unpack how you should be tackling your client’s content strategy amidst the barrage of changes to search marketing thanks to Google’s never-ending algorithm updates.

Editor’s Note: “SEO News You Can Use” is a weekly blog post posted every Monday morning only on, rounding up all the top SEO news from around the world. Our goal is to make a one-stop-shop for everyone looking for SEO news, education and for hiring an SEO expert with our comprehensive SEO agency directory.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

SEO News You Can Use: Google’s December 2022 Link Spam Update Rollout Complete

Jan 16, 2023 by Robynn Farrell

On January 12, 2023, Google confirmed that the December 2022 Link Spam...

SEO News You Can Use: Google Add New Determining Factor to E-A-T Guidelines

Jan 09, 2023 by Robynn Farrell

On December 15, 2022, Google updated its quality rater guidelines; thi...

SEO News You Can Use: Google Releases December 2022 Link Spam Update

Dec 19, 2022 by Robynn Farrell

Google is rolling out yet another update; this time, it's the Decembe...